Understanding your gender identity
transgender, gender fluid
Questioning your gender identity?
As with sexuality, your feelings about your gender can also change from day-to-day. If you feel uncomfortable about your gender then puberty can become an even more difficult time.
Gender identity is your sense or belief that you are a particular gender - this can be male or female, or you might feel that you belong to both, neither, or a combination of genders.
Gender identity (how you feel about your gender) and sexuality (your sexual preferences) aren't the same thing, but they can be linked.
For really useful info and advice about gender identity see:
- Watch the YouTube video above titled 'Bi-Gender: A Lesson In Gender Identity'.
- NHS gender dysphoria
- The Mix Young and trans?
Looking after your emotional wellbeing
Questioning your gender identity can sometimes leave you feeling confused and may affect your emotional wellbeing.
For advice look at the Young Minds - gender and mental health information.
If you are struggling it can be helpful to speak about how you're feeling, write it down or reach out to a support group to speak with others with similar experiences, see Outreach Youth.
Many of the young people at Outreach Youth said the internet was great in helping them come to terms with their sexuality or gender identity. Many said that they didn't receive any of this information at school, so YouTube videos taught them a lot and provided support and reassurance.
You can also take a look at this video on YouTube from the National Trans Youth Network, titled 'Transgender Youth Bust Myths'.
Where can I find emotional wellbeing support and more information?
- Kooth - A free, safe and confidential online emotional wellbeing service where you can find someone to talk to when you need it. Visit their website www.kooth.com
- Emotional Wellbeing Hub - If you live in East and West Suffolk, and are worried about your emotional health and wellbeing. You can call their helpline on 0345 600 2090 or make an online referral.
- Point-1 Service- Provides an online referral service and helpline (like the Hub) for young people who live in Lowestoft and Waveney area. Call their helpline on 0800 977 4077.
- Gendered Intelligence - Is a website that aims to increase the understanding of gender diversity and support young people aged 8-25. They provide information, support and resources to young people and families. See their page Trans Youth Work Resources page.
- Mermaids - Offer support and information. Speak to other teens, read stories and access their helpline from Monday - Friday, 9am to 9pm. Call 0808 801 0400.
- Suffolk Gender Identity Hub - Aimed at adults in Suffolk so if you are 18+ you may find the information here useful.