mobile menu button

Information and advice for young people in Suffolk


cancer 164099357resizedmono

Cancer - protecting yourself

Home » My health » Cancer - protecting yourself Share page: Twitter Facebook

Two young adults are diagnosed with skin cancer every day

More and more young people aged 15 and older are part of a rising group of young adults who are diagnosed with malignant melanoma which is the deadliest form of skin cancer. 


  • People forget or do not think they need to put on sun cream in the summer
  • young people and adults are using sun beds too often which can increase your risk of melanoma before 35 by 75 per cent.

To find out more about melanoma, visit Cancer Research UK, and the NHS website

Skin cancer from sunbed use

A study of 15-18 year old girls found that their desire to get a tan overcame any misgivings about the potential health risks. (Cancer Research UK, Jan 2013).

Find out more

Breast cancer

Be aware of checking your breasts for unusual lumps (this relates to guys and gals) by carrying out self examination at around the same time each month. You can read more about how to do this on The Mix website.

Cervical cancer

You may have heard about the HPV (human papilloma virus) vaccination? This is offered to girls aged 12- 13 to protect against cervical cancer.

HPV is the main cause of cervical cancer. There are some indicators that HPV in the throat (from oral sex) in young men is on the increase. You can protect yourself by using condoms. Read more about this on The Mix.

For more information on sex and sexual health services visit our sexual health pages or the iCaSH website which has information about the c-card for free condoms. 

Testicular cancer

You can find out how to check your 'balls' on our testicular cancer page.

Who can I speak to about any concerns?

  • Speak to your GP about any concerns about your body
  • Speak to a school nurse through the ChatHealth service. They offer weekly confidential 'drop-ins' in secondary schools. Send a text to 07507 333356, visit our ChatHealth page for more info, or ask in school to find out more.

Tell us what you think

Connect with us on the web