mobile menu button

Information and advice for young people in Suffolk


happyteenagegirl 150090038resized

Checking my health while in care

Home » My health » My health while in care Share page: Twitter Facebook

While you are in care you have a right to talk to a nurse about your health. This is called a health assessment and you will meet a nurse to talk about this. Further information read the below:

 What is a health assessment?

The health assessment is an opportunity for information to be gathered about your health through conversation with yourself and your carer. It is your chance to look at all aspects of your lifestyle to help you take steps towards a healthier you.

This takes place once a year to make sure that you are getting all the care you need.

It also gives you the opportunity to ask questions about how your body works or talk about anything that is worrying you.

 What happens in the assessment?

The nurse will talk to you and may ask you to sign a form giving your consent for them to carry out the assessment.

You will not need to be examined but your height and weight will be measured if you are happy with this.

The nurse will talk to you about all aspects of your health, physical and emotional well-being as well as being able to discuss other issues such as sexual health, smoking and substance misuse.

We may also talk about

  • Healthy eating
  • Exercise and fun things you like to do
  • Your safety and things you are learning about in school, including internet safety
  • Your feelings

When you are nearly 18 year’s of age, you will be offered an enhanced health assessment and will be given a health passport, which includes important information about your health history.

 What happens after the assessment?

When the health assessment is finished the nurse or doctor will write a plan with you to make sure that you are getting the best possible help to keep you healthy.

The nurse will talk to you if she thinks you need any help with your health and with your agreement will make arrangements for this to happen or ask your social worker or carer to arrange the appropriate appointments.

As you get older you may live on your own and help can be offered to make these appointments if needed.

Your social worker will get a summary of the plan. This is to ensure that any health issues identified are sorted out as soon as possible.

 Will you share the information about me with anyone else?

The nurse may want to talk to you GP or other health professionals about your health but will ask for your consent before doing so.

Conversations that you have with your doctor or nurse are confidential and will only be shared with the social worker, carer or family if you are felt to be at risk of harm or danger.

Contact the Children in Care Nursing Team at Suffolk County Council on: 01449 776055

Connect with us on the web