mobile menu button

Information and advice for young people in Suffolk


Help to have your say - Advocacy

Home » Leaving Care Support » Help to have your say - Advocacy Share page: Twitter Facebook

What is advocacy?

Sometimes it may be necessary to have someone help you have your say this could be support from someone who is completely separate from your family and the professionals involved in making decisions about your life. This is called independent advocacy.

An independent advocate can:

  • Stand up for you
  • Go to meetings with you to help you have your say
  • Help you to make a complaint
  • Explain things to you
  • Make sure your views are listened to
  • Make sure you are fully involved in decisions being made about your life

If you're unhappy with your care, you have the right to an advocate.

An advocate is someone who will:

  • Listen to you
  • Be on your side
  • Make sure what you want is listened to
  • Help you to speak up at meetings
  • Help you make a complaint if you are unhappy about your care.

For independent advocates provided in Suffolk

Advocacy is provided by VoiceAbility who are part of Total Voice Suffolk - They offer 1-1 support provided by a qualified Advocate for children & young people (0–25 years) in care, care leavers and those wishing to make a complaint, to help them resolve a particular problem or concern they have. Use the contact details below or speak to your social worker to get in touch with an independent advocate. For further information call: 0300 303 1660, email: info@totalvoicesuffolk or visit the Total Voices website for more information. You can also make a referral to Total Voices.

Get the advocacy app

Download the National Youth Advocacy Service app, which has lots of information and advice on being in care and understanding your rights. Download the app for free:

Download from Google Play store
Download from the Apple store

Connect with us on the web