Choices at 13+
During Year 9 (and sometimes Year 8), you will be asked by your school or college to think about your option subjects for Year 10 and 11 and your future career ideas.
The core subjects you have to take are English, maths and science which you will take as part of key stage 4.
What subjects can I pick as my options?
Explore subject areas - browse some of the subject areas that you may be able to study, with related careers and videos with people talking about their jobs.
Quick qualifications guide - take a look at this chart if you want to understand the different qualifications and training, available from Entry Level to Level 4 and upwards.
Tell us what you think
Talk to someone about your Year 9 options
Parents and carers
It is still a good idea to talk to your parents about your choices. They may have some advice or a question to ask that you had not thought about before.
- What type of subjects or lessons do you enjoy or are good at?
- Do you have any career ideas in mind yet?
- Do you understand what will be covered in their choice of subjects?
If you go along to a Year 9 options event at your school take the opportunity to ask the subject teachers questions.
- What happens if the subject you like is fully subscribed?
- What happens if you don’t like the subject?
- Can you change your mind later?
- How much time will homework take?
- What have previous students gone on to study?